Suppressing a Fire at Workers’ Accommodation

fire safety disaster prevention

Fire Incident Overview

On August 26, 2023, at 10:05 AM, a fire broke out at a workers’ accommodation for a restaurant and construction site, located at House No. 101, Moo 1, Bo Phut Sub-district, Koh Samui District, Surat Thani Province. The buildings affected were temporary brick houses with pressed wood walls and zinc roofs, totaling 14 rooms (two adjacent rooms per unit), housing 28 residents. The entire building and all its contents were damaged, but there were no reported fatalities.

Response and Cooperation

Upon receiving information about the fire, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department of Koh Samui Municipality, under the administration of Deputy Mayor Mr. Sutham Samthong, dispatched water tanker trucks to control the fire situation. Firefighters and related officials from the fire extinguishing units of Maenam, Na Thon, Chaweng, and Lamai cooperated in putting out the fire, ensuring that the situation was contained as quickly as possible.

Fire Safety Awareness

In light of this incident, Koh Samui Municipality urges the public to take care and be vigilant about fire hazards. They emphasize the importance of caution when cooking, using gas, lighting incense, and candles for worship. Additionally, they advise against burning waste in uncontrolled areas, and stress the need to regularly check electrical wiring to ensure it is in proper working condition. Unplugging electrical devices when not in use, before going to bed, and when leaving the house is also highly recommended.

Reporting Fire Incidents

To report a fire incident in the area, residents can call 199 or 077-426005 for immediate assistance. Staying vigilant and reporting any potential fire hazards can help prevent future incidents and keep the community safe.