A Step Up for Torsak
Deputy national police chief Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol is expected to become the new national police chief, replacing Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas. According to a police source, Torsak’s name is among a list of reshuffled officers awaiting vetting and endorsement by the Police Commission. The commission, chaired by caretaker Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, is scheduled to meet on Friday.
The Selection Process
The decision to nominate Pol Gen Torsak for the position of national police chief was made during a high-level meeting presided over by the outgoing chief, Pol Gen Damrongsak, who is set to retire on September 30th. The meeting primarily focused on top-tier posts and potential reshuffles within the police force.
Other Key Appointments
In addition to Torsak’s anticipated promotion, several other significant appointments are expected to take place. These include:
- Pol Lt Gen Ittipon Ittisanronnachai becoming the new Immigration Bureau chief.
- Pol Lt Gen Thiti Saengsawang continuing as the Metropolitan Police Bureau commissioner.
- Pol Lt Gen Surapon Prembut moving from deputy to commissioner of Provincial Police Region (PPR) 1.
- Pol Lt Gen Nithithorn Chintakanon being appointed as the head of PPR2.
- Pol Lt Gen Somprasong Yentuam remaining as PPR3 chief.
- Pol Lt Gen Santi Chainiramai, currently police inspector-general, being promoted to PPR4 chief.
- Pol Lt Gen Naiyawat Phadermchit, currently Police Strategy chief, becoming PPR5 chief.
- Pol Lt Gen Trairong Phiwpan, commissioner of the Office of Legal Affairs and Litigation, taking on the role of PPR7 commissioner.
- Pol Lt Gen Surapong Thanomjit staying on as PPR8 commissioner.
- Pol Lt Gen Udon Yomcharoen being appointed as the new head of the Tourist Police.
- Pol Maj Gen Yongkiat Monpraneet being promoted to the new commander of the Border Patrol Police.
The aforementioned appointments and changes are also subject to the approval of the Police Commission during their upcoming meeting.